Hello, WAW fam. This is our first meet this year, so Happy New Year?
Just want to quickly let you guys know what to look forward to from us between this month and March of this year.
1. BLOG SUBMISSIONS NOW OPEN!
We’re now open to submissions! We’ll publish one fiction and one nonfiction/poetry piece per month. We pay N2000 flat in vouchers per piece. This means recipients can purchase any product or service off the WAW store at N2000 less. This includes masterclasses, manuscript editing, book design services, etc.
2. WHY (NOT) WRITE?: A COLLECTION OF AUTHOR ESSAYS
With Why (Not) Write, WAW brings you great insight from four established authors on how to navigate the writing life. This insight will arrive in the form of interviews, essays, podcasts and videos, and in February, these authors will, in collaboration with WAW, provide you with roadmaps, signposts, warnings and inspirational nuggets to get your writing journey kick-started, or keep it sustained.
Why (Not) Write aims to help writers answer two key questions:
- Why write?
- Why not write?
We will unveil each author one at a time. Keep abreast.
3. LAGOS SOCIAL MEDIA WEEK 2017: USE TECHNOLOGY TO MAKE YOUR WRITING PAY
With the advent of technology and social media, writing is slowly but steadily evolving as a well-paying profession, as more and more writers earn good money in exchange for their poems, essays, 50,000-word novels, or 100-word flash fiction pieces.
That is where Technology to Make Your Writing Pay comes in. In this Speakeasy, we elucidate how the use of selling applications and (a)venues, writing and editing programs, social media and the web in general can be employed in earning money from writing. Writers who have earned, are earning, and plan to keep earning money by writing for the digital space will be available to share their success tips and tactics. Core questions that will be addressed are:
- Is writing even profitable in these climes (i.e, Nigeria and Africa)?
- How can I convert my stories, articles, essays and poems to money?
- Technology and social media play a big role in this, you say, can you tell me how?
- This sounds mighty good; but wait, are there people already doing this–earning well from their writing–or will I be faced with the daunting task of trailblazing?
- Where do I start?
– Understand the resources available to you on your smartphone and computer, as a writer.
– Discover which people/organisations are willing to pay for your writing, and how technology can help you find them.
– Learn how to harness revenue-earning writing opportunities, as a writer in a technologically advanced literary era.
4. WAWFM S01 E02: PLOT, SETTING, DESCRIPTION
This fiction masterclass is focused on: Plot + Pacing, Setting and Description.
Registration costs N5,000 (a token, really, considering what you’re going to get), but full and partial scholarships will be available for the most moving applications. Books will be present for sale, as usual, by Roving Heights Online Bookstore. Details of facilitators to be announced in due time. Follow us on social media and visit us frequently for further updates.
Visit our program calendar (bottom of our homepage) for further updates.
-‘Suyi + Chisom